Sunday 14 September 2008

I'm Not Rappaport


Walter Matthau and Ossie Davis in I'm Not Rappaport

I watched an old film tonight with Walter Matthau and Ossie Davis. The film focuses on Nat (Matthau), a cantankerous Jew, and Midge Carter (Davis), a feisty African-American, who spend their days sitting on a bench in Central Park. They both mask the realities of aging by sharing the tall tales that Nat spins. The film deals with the difficulties of dealing with adult children who think they know what's best for their aging parents.

The film includes one of the funniest dialogues I have ever heard and is typical of the film as a whole...

Nat: Hey, Rappaport! I haven't seen you in ages. How have you been?
Midge: I'm not Rappaport.
Nat: Rappaport, what happened to you? You used to be a short fat guy, and now you're a tall skinny guy.
Midge: I'm not Rappaport.
Nat: Rappaport, you used to be a young guy with a beard, and now you're an old guy with a mustache.
Midge: I'm not Rappaport.
Nat: Rappaport, how has this happened? You used to be a cowardly little white guy, and now you're a big imposing black guy.
Midge: I'm not Rappaport.
Nat: And Rappaport, you changed your name, too!

It's a shame they don't make them like that any more!

0 comments: